Greenlandic (Kalaallisut ‘the language of the Greenlanders’) is the official language of Greenland. It is closely related to other Inuit languages such as Inuktitut (in Nunavut, Canada) and Inupiaq (in Alaska). The language first arrived in Greenland with the Thule people who migrated from northern Canada in the 1200s.
Today, Greenlandic is spoken by about 90% of the population, representing about 50,000 speakers (out of a total of 56,000), which makes it the best preserved indigenous language in the Arctic region and North America. Of the remaining 10%, by far the greatest part are Danish speakers; but as other nationalities make up an increasing part of the population, other minority languages such as Thai, Filipino and Icelandic are now part of the linguistic landscape of Greenland.
The exhibition is developed in cooperation with Oqaatsinik Pikkorissaavik – Language Centre, KTI Sisimiut.
The building culture of Sisimiut tells a story of an entrepreneurial town that grew from small beginnings to become the second largest settlement in Greenland. From the historic buildings in the town centre to the standard housing districts at the edges, each house and each area tell a personal story; but they also stand as reflections of larger historical developments and conditions.
The exibition was made possible in collaboration with KTI Sisimiut and architect Sofie Frydenrejn Johansen.