The whaling lodge (B-40) is one of Sisimiut’s oldest buildings. Its exact beginnings are unclear, but it is likely to have been a residence for whalers somewhere else in the Sisimiut district before it was moved to its current position. Before the Holsteinsborg colony was established in Sisimiut in 1764, a whaling lodge by the name Amerloq was located at Asummiut on the opposite site of Kangerluarsunnguaq Bay. This also used to be the location of the missionary’s house [link]. Old drawings show that the B-40 whaling lodge was already part of the Holsteinsborg colony in the early 19th century. It is reasonable to imagine that this is the Amerloq whaling lodge, which may have been moved to the colony alongside the missionary’s house and used to accommodate the colonial assistant.
The lodge was originally a log-built construction which was later extended to comprise two rooms. Today the house is used for storage.